Teeth whitening is a very common cosmetic procedure that can be performed at home or in a dental office. These procedures are deemed non-critical by dental professionals, but it’s still an important and sought-after procedure.
Professional Whitening vs. Over the Counter
Professional teeth whitening services have long been considered the preferred option for patients who want immediate and noticeable results from their whitening. But that doesn’t mean all over-the-counter whitening systems are lacking.
Benefits of Professional Whitening Solutions
– Longer-lasting results compared to over-the-counter systems
– Powerful whitening techniques and equipment not available to the general public
– Safe, healthy, and supervised whitening
– Whitening systems customized to patient’s teeth to ensure best results
Downsides of Professional Whitening
– Professional whitening typically costs more than over-the-counter solutions
Benefits of Over-the-Counter Whitening Solutions
– Inexpensive and easy to obtain
– Convenient and can be used at home while performing other minor tasks
– Saves time and money
Downsides of Over-the-Counter Whitening
– Unsupervised treatments mean the chances of incorrect application are increased
– Chances of gum damage, pain, and sensitivity increase
– Contact with gum line can cause gum recession
What Are the Risks Associated with Teeth Whitening?
The most common problem cited by patients who receive teeth whitening treatments are increased sensitivity following the bleaching process. Depending on the concentration of the product in question and the length of time it remains on the teeth, sensitivity can last for two or more days.
One’s gums can also become irritated or sensitive due to poorly-fitting molds or accidental contact with the whitening solution upon application, so taking extra care to remove any excess solution or pausing to correct the fit of the mold before continuing treatment will help alleviate issues.
How Long Does Whitening Last?
Over-the-counter whitening solutions, if and when used properly, may last for a few months at a time. Professional whitening treatments can last much longer, with results being visible for between 6 months to several years depending on health, diet, and oral hygiene, but some reports have the treatment lasting much longer.
To schedule an appointment for professional teeth whitening or to learn more about the methodology, contact Don Sing DDS in Seattle today!